Wednesday, February 26, 2014

south carolina dreaming

Having an empty nest (sigh), my husband and I are looking at our future and making plans for pre and post retirement.   It has not been a secret amongst my family and friends that I'm anxious to move south.  I'm a Massachusett's girl at heart but I'm looking for the warmth and hospitality of the south.  Since my daughter moved to South Carolina for school, I have fallen in love with the state even more.

Can't imagine why, since we woke up to this today (and yesterday, and...well....)
Poor Daisy - trying her best to hide from the snow!

We've decided to look for a home that we can rent out in the summer and use for vacations & weekend getaways for our family the rest of the year.  Although I desperately want to have a home in Charleston (for obvious reasons), we are starting to think that short-term, it would probably be best to get a beach house if we will be renting out in the summers.  I've begun the search online...so many areas near Charleston...Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, Seabrook, Sullivan's, Kiawah.  Although, this will likely not be our forever home (hello...Charleston!?), I do want to be in an area that we enjoy and hopefully not too "tourist-y".

Any southern bloggers that can offer advice or suggestions?  Have you vacationed down south?  Help this Washington, DC girl find some warmth in SC!


4 comments:

  1. You will love the South, I may be biased but it is one of the best places to live! I don't have too many recommendations for vacation homes in South Carolina...I'm from Nashville, TN and the two big beach vacations spots that is popular with most of Nashville is Seaside, FL and Sea Island in NC. Sorry I couldn't help you out with places for SC but it is such a beautiful place to be!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren - I'm looking forward to living in the south! I've never been to Nashville but hear that it's beautiful! My daughter has a friend at Belmont and she is in love with Nashville.

      Delete
  2. After snow-day #13, I think a lot of families from NoVa might be thinking about moving South too! Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it only snow day #13, Eileen?! It seems like it's snow day #152!!! I'm headed to SC tomorrow. It's chilly down there for SC but I don't think I'll be seeing the 1 degree temp that I saw this morning in Leesburg! Crazy! Hope you & your adorable family have enjoyed the days!

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS