Saturday, November 15, 2014

Back in Cola

I ended up back in Cola for my youngest's Ortho appointment on Thursday.  I just could not have her go to that appointment by herself with potential bad news looming, regarding her ankle injury.  Since I didn't have time to drive, I was not able to "drive Miss Daisy" as an extra treat for cheering her up.  However, after about 5 flight delays, I was wondering if A) I'd ever arrive in Columbia and B) it would have been faster to drive.  In any case, I literally arrived just in time for her to pick me up and get to the appointment.

The great news is that it looks like it's nothing more serious than a bad lateral sprain.  They were able to put her in a boot so she was thrilled to say goodbye to her crutches.  Her campus is not at all "crutch friendly".  

We were so hungry after my long day of traveling, we decided to go to one of our favorite restaurants in Columbia - Pearlz Oyster Bar.  It's a wonderful place but I haven't been there since I started eating super clean.  Ahhh....call it temporary insanity or relief over the Dr. appt that went well - but I caved! The new-Englander in me decided that I needed a lobster roll - as in, "with bread".  Thankfully, I had the good sense to substitute chips for grilled asparagus but I should have nixed the roll.  I soon realized that gluten is just not ever going to be allowed in my diet if I want to feel good.

(I would have a picture of the amazing lobster roll here.....but I was so hungry, there was no time for pictures)

Some of my lyme symptoms/auto immune were strange hives on my arms and my head would itch like crazy.  I'd get various parts of my hands that would swell up to the point where my hand looked disfigured (angioedema).  Thankfully, there was no angioedema but the itchiness started within an hour of eating.  It was good to have that reminder that I'm doing what I need to be doing for my health.  I am certain that most of the things I've eliminated, need to stay out of my diet but gluten is for sure one of those things.  Interestingly, I've been tested for celiac and it's always shown up as negative but I believe you can be sensitive to certain foods and it can make a huge difference in your overall health to remove them from your diet.  I'm anxious to get back on track when I return to Northern Virginia on Sunday.

In the meantime, I'm back to working on her laundry, errands and shopping - hoping to make her life a little easier so she can spend a little more time with her foot elevated and resting.  Okay, I realize that's probably not reality for my college student, but it will help me to imagine that she's slowing down a bit so she can start healing.  

Hope you are having a good weekend in your corner of the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS